IIT Bhilai is an institute of national importance declared as such under the Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act 2016 to provide for education and research in various branches of engineering, technology, science, and arts. The main focus of IIT Bhilai is to prepare young individuals to become professional leaders of tomorrow by imparting cutting-edge technical skills and knowledge, so that they can take on the real-life challenges in the future with confidence and maturity. IIT Bhilai is striving for research-driven undergraduate and postgraduate education. Our objective is to create an educational system with multifaceted outcomes, including research, entrepreneurship, technical leadership, and above all, responsible citizenship.
Eligibility criteria for PhD admissions
1. Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology or equivalent degree, with a minimum of first class, 60% marks or equivalent (55% marks for SC/ST).
2. Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology, with a minimum of first class, 60% marks or equivalent (55% marks for SC/ST)
3. Master’s degree in science, arts or equivalent degree, with a minimum of first class, 60% marks or equivalent (55% marks for SC/ST).
B. Applicants must also fulfil ONE of the following additional requirements.
1. Valid GATE Score /NET.
2. Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) of CSIR/ UGC/ NBHM/ DBT/ ICAR/ ICMR/ ICPR/DST/SERB or DST INSPIRE Fellowship.
3. Minimum of 2 years of professional experience. The experience gained while acquiring Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology or experience acquired after obtaining the qualifying degree and completed before the starting of the semester in which admission is sought may be considered as professional experience.
4. BTech from IIT with a CPI/CGPA of 8.0 or more.
An ongoing degree may also be considered as a qualifying degree provided the applicant graduates before the PhD program starts. Discipline specific requirements are given in Table 1.
Table 1: Discipline specific criteria for PhD admissions
|Chemistry||MUST have qualified CSIR-UGC NET (JRF/LS) in Chemical Sciences or GATE in CY|
|Computer Science and Engineering||GATE score in CS/ EC/ EE/ MA/ PH if applicable.|
|Electrical Engineering||GATE score in EE/ EC/ IN/ CS/ MA/ PH/ XE if applicable|
|Liberal Arts||MUST have qualified NET/ UGC JRF (Psychology/English/Economics) or ICMR JRF (Social Sciences).|
|Mathematics||MUST have qualified CSIR-UGC NET (JRF/LS) in Mathematical Sciences or GATE in MA/ST or JRF in NBHM/DST-INSPIRE|
|Mechanical Engineering||GATE score in AE/ CE/ ME/ PI/ PH/ XE if applicable|
|Physics||MUST have qualified CSIR-UGC NET (JRF/LS) in Physical Sciences or GATE in PH/EE|
Application categories for PhD admission
Applicant meeting the eligibility criteria may apply for admission to the PhD program under any of the following categories.
A. Regular: An applicant who meets the eligibility criteria may apply for the admission to PhD program as a regular student. Such an applicant has to be a full-time scholar at IIT Bhilai and needs to be present on the campus for the duration of PhD programme as per the rules of IIT Bhilai. A regular student receives Institute Fellowship as per the norms defined by MHRD.
B. Sponsored PhD Programs: An applicant who meets the eligibility criteria may apply for admission to the PhD program under sponsored category if he/she is either awardee of research fellowship from some recognized funding agency (CSIR/ UGC/ NBHM/ DBT/ ICAR/ ICMR/ ICPR etc. or DST INSPIRE Fellowship) or is sponsored by his/her employer or is ready to self-sponsor himself/herself for the duration of PhD tenure. A certificate/declaration of sponsorship from the sponsoring body must be submitted by the applicant at the time of applying for admission.
Sponsored candidate needs to apply as one of the following:
i) Full-time: A sponsored applicant may apply for admission to PhD program as sponsored full-time student. Such a student needs to be present on the campus for the duration of PhD as per the rules of IIT Bhilai.
ii) Part-time: Professionally employed personnel such as working engineers, scientists and teachers who can, while employed, attend regular classes as per schedule of IIT Bhilai may apply for admission to PhD program as sponsored part-time student. The applicant must be an employee of a recognized organization and be engaged in professional work in the area to which admission is sought. The student must be available in person for discussion/meeting with the supervisor on a regular basis. The applicant shall give an undertaking endorsed by the employer that the applicant will be relieved to attend all classes.
iii) External: An applicant working in industry / academic establishment / research laboratories having R&D facilities may apply for admission to PhD program as external applicant. Such a student is expected to carry out all/major part of the research work in the organization employing the student. The employer must explicitly undertake to relieve the applicant for staying on the campus to complete the required course work. A certificate to that effect from the sponsoring organization must be provided by the applicant at the time of applying for admission. The student will be under joint supervision of a supervisor from IIT Bhilai and one from his/her parent organization. The applicant shall provide the CV of the prospective supervisor who would supervise the applicant's work at his/her organization. Such applicants may apply as full-time or part-time scholar.
A) External Full-time: An external full-time student needs to be involved in full-time research at the organization employing the student.
B) External Part-time: An external part-time student may be involved in his/her regular job assignments along with the research for PhD.
Guidelines for PhD applications
1. Applicants must read the instructions given in the brochure carefully before filling up the application form.
2. Applicants must fill out the online application form available at www.iitbhilai.ac.in/index.php?pid=pg_admission. There is NO need to send hardcopy of the application forms.
3. Separate application form is to be filled if applicants are applying in more than one discipline.
4. Reservations are applicable for applicants in other Backward Class-Non-Creamy layer (OBC-NCL)/ Scheduled Caste (SC)/ Scheduled Tribe (ST)/ Person with benchmark disability (PwD) / Economically weak section (EWS) category, as per Government of India rules. Necessary supporting documents must be attached to avail such reservation during online application and the same will be verified at the time of admission.
5. Applicants should complete the application form in all respects. Incomplete application will not be considered.
6. Applicants MUST keep the following documents (softcopy) ready to upload during their application process:
- Academic certificates (10th/12th, UG & PG certificates, etc. whichever is applicable)
- Mark-sheet of all semesters/Consolidated mark-sheet of the qualifying degree. Result awaited candidates have to upload their latest/previous semester mark-sheet.
- Caste certificate (OBC-NCL/SC/ST), if applicable.
- Experience certificate and any other relevant documents., whichever applicable.
7. Applicants must also provide the details of at least two well acquainted people who can provide reference letters in support of candidature of applicant. At least one of them must be an academician and must have taught the applicant.
8. Applicants having degree from foreign universities should upload equivalence certificate from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi for qualifying Exam and proof of having first class or 60% (55% for SC/ST) marks or equivalent in qualifying examination.
9. Applicants are advised to check the Institute website for results / important announcements. Applicants are also advised to check emails sent to the email address provided in their applications for all important communications and announcements.
All communications related to admission will be communicated only through e-mail.
10. Applicants called for written test/interview should bring with them
- Photo ID Card,
- Printed copy of the application submitted online,
- Thesis / dissertation / report / publications,
- All Original certificates and mark-sheets.
11. Applicants who are admitted as students must submit self-attested copies of their qualifying degree certificate / final transcripts (if not available at the time of admission/application) on or before 02nd Sept 2020, failing which the admission shall stand cancelled.
Thrust Research Area (Not limited to)
|Discipline||Broad Areas of Research|
|Chemistry||Inorganic and Organometallic Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Halide Perovskite Solar-Cells, Bionanotechnology , Photoactive Metal-Organic Hybrid Materials, Theoretical and computational chemistry, Total synthesis and Antibiotics.|
|Computer Science & Engineering||Hardware security, System security, Network security, Lightweight cryptography, Cryptanalysis, Multiparty computation, Blockchains, Embedded computing, VLSI design, Operating systems, Algorithms, Social and complex network analysis, Mathematical formulation, Combinatorial optimization, Graph theory, Vehicle routing problems, Approximation algorithms, Distributed systems, Cloud computing, Formal verification and model checking.|
|Electrical Engineering||Sensors and actuators, Instrumentation, Control system, Microelectronics, Flexible electronics. Solar cells, Plasmonics and computer networks, Queueing systems, Wireless communications, Stochastic geometry, Wireless networks, Power system dynamics, Power electronics, HVDC and FACTS, Machine learning applications in power systems, Intelligent transportation systems, Smart technologies for human and animal healthcare, Embedded systems, Machine learning applications.|
|Liberal Arts||Psychology: organizational behaviour and positive psychology.
English: cultural studies and literary studies.
Economics: all areas of economics.
|Mathematics||Nonlinear Functional Analysis, Set-Valued Fixed Point Theory and Applications, Optimization Theory, Equilibrium Problems; Operator Theory, Function Algebra, Cowen Douglas Class Operator and Reproducing Kernel Hilbert Space, Probability Theory, Stochastic Processes and Statistics, Estimation Theory, Applied Probability, Additive Number Theory, Analysis of Partial Differential Equations.|
|Mechanical Engineering||Solid Mechanics (Computational mechanics, Experimental Mechanics, Damage and Fracture Mechanics, Stress corrosion cracking, mesh and mesh-less methods), Fluid Mechanics (Low Reynolds number flow, Microfluidics, Rarefied gas flow), Heat Transfer (Conjugate heat transfer, Cogeneration, Evaporation of droplets and slugs, Multiphase flows, Droplets and Interfacial science, Self-assembly of colloidal particles, thermohydraulics for nuclear reactor), Computational Fluid Dynamics, Bioinspired microtextured surfaces, Manufacturing (Metal cutting, non-conventional machining, metal forming, Advanced PVD coating for cutting tools, Modelling and simulation of manufacturing processes, Additive manufacturing, Micromachining, Surface treatment, Surface texturing, Materials Characterisation, Thin film tribology), IC Engines, Alternatives Fuels, Advanced materials processing, Structure-Property Correlationship, Friction stir welding and processing.|
|Physics||Thin Films and Technology, Solar Energy Materials, Time-Resolved Optical spectroscopy of hybrid 2D materials and computation of their band structure, Active matter studies, Microswimmers/ Micromotors, Non-equilibrium colloidal systems, Thermal Field Theory, Heavy Ion Phenomenology, High Energy Physics, Astro-particle Physics, Neutrino Physics.|
Tentative Schedule of Admission for Ph.D. Program in 2020-21-M session
|1.||Start date for application (online only)||March 16, 2020(10:00 Hrs IST)|
|2.||Last date for submitting online application form and completing the payment.||April 15, 2020 (17:00 Hrs IST)|
|3.||Entrance tests and interviews|
|Computer Science and Engineering||June 01, 2020|
|Chemistry||June 02, 2020|
|Electrical Engineering||June 02, 2020|
|Liberal Arts||June 02, 2020|
|Mathematics||June 01, 2020|
|Mechanical Engineering||June 02, 2020|
|Physics||June 01, 2020|
The dates given above are tentative. Any changes in the dates will be indicated on the website.
STEP-I: Apply Online
Candidate has to apply online from IIT Bhilai website. After filling the details, an Application Number will be generated. Candidate should note down the Application Number. Please note that you have to upload your testimonials wherever it is required to validate your information along with your digital photograph and signature. After final submission of your online application, you will be able to generate your online application print with your specific details/data. This application print may be retained with you for future requirement.
STEP-II: Make Payment
Application fee of 100 INR is applicable for SC/ST/PwD/female candidates and 200 INR is applicable for other candidates. Payment of application fee has to be made through State Bank Collect only. Candidate to visit SBI Collect, for fees payment and select PhD Application Fee as per the appropriate category. The candidate has to clearly mention the application id in the correct format(Eg: ME-101) while filling-up SBI collect challan for payment. After making payment, SBI Collect will generate payment reference number (viz. DU12345678), candidate has to retain a copy of sbi i-collect receipt for any future reference.