Prof. Santosh Biswas
IIT Bhilai was established in 2016 with three UG specializations, i.e., BTech in Mechanical Engineering (ME), BTech in Electrical Engineering (EE) and BTech in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE). The department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) was formed at IIT Bhilai in April 2018 by merging the departments of Computer Science and Engineering and Electrical Engineering.
With the rise of Cloud Computing, Internet of Things, and Web 3.0, amount of data being produced and captured by computer systems and applications is ever increasing at an exponential rate. To harbour the opportunity and challenge to develop the next generation technologies to store, manage, analyze, share and understand the huge volume of data that is generated in business, the third discipline on Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (DSAI) was lunched in the year 2020. Initially, B.Tech program was offered under DSAI starting from the year 2020, followed MTech and PhD programs from the year 2021.
The department has state of the art facilities in the following verticals covering the spectrum of Electrical and Computing Sciences.
- Computer Systems
- High Performance Computing and GPU
- Devices and Circuits
- Sensor and Instrumentation
- Embedded Systems and VLSI
- Communication and Digital Signal Processing
- Electrical Machines
- Control Systems
- Power Electronics and Power Systems
The disciplines of CSE and EE have around 50 UG and 12 PG students in each batch, while the discipline of DSAI has stared with 20 UG and 10 PG students. About 30 PhD students are currently working in the department and within 5 years of initiation of the PhD program, 2 students have already graduated. As on date, the department has 21 faculty members having PhD/Post-Doc from institutes of repute in India and abroad.
On the context of interdisciplinary work, the EECS department in collaboration with other departments of IIT Bhilai are offering UG and PG programs in
- Electric Vehicle Technology
The vision of the department includes the following:
- Impart students with strong background in fundamental principles and innovative technologies of electrical and computer engineering through teaching and research.
- Continuously adapt teaching and research through state-of-the art curriculums
- Establishment of state of the art facilities for research, development and education.
- Collaboration with other engineering, scientific, liberal arts and medical domains using the fundamental and applied principles of electrical and computer engineering
- Collaboration with Industry and academia for advancement of the department
- Scouting students with entrepreneurial skills, and supporting them to translate ideas to products
- Building a sustainable ecosystem with national and international collaboration