Prof. Santosh Biswas
IIT Bhilai was established in 2016 with three UG specializations, i.e., BTech in Mechanical Engineering, BTech in Electrical Engineering and BTech in Computer Science and Engineering. The department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) was formed at IIT Bhilai in April 2018 by merging the departments of Computer Science and Engineering and Electrical Engineering. Discipline on Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (DSAI) was launched in the year 2020. Initially, B.Tech program was offered under DSAI starting from the year 2020, followed by MTech and PhD programs from the year 2021. The discipline of CSE has around 50 UG and 10 PG students, while the discipline of DSAI has 20 UG and 10 PG students. About 20 PhD students are currently working in the department and 14 faculty members having PhD/Post-Doc from institutes of repute in India and abroad.
IIT Bhilai will move to its permanent campus soon and the next semester will be operational from there. The new semester will see operationalization of the disciplines of CSE and DSAI under the dedicated academic department of CSE. Dedicated academic department is envisaged to leverage the ample amount of infrastructure available in the permanent campus to facilitate dedicated professional core courses, elective courses, labs, and projects related to the trade of the department. On the student’s intake perspective, the number of PG students is doubled for both the CSE and DSAI disciplines and doubled for the UG program of DSAI. Enhancement in funding due to growth in the number of students and faculty members, is expected to enable establishment of high-end dedicated laboratory facilities, scope for funding related to project, conference etc.
The department has state of the art facilities in the following verticals covering the spectrum of Computational Sciences and Engineering.
- Computer Systems
- High Performance Computing and GPU
- Embedded Systems
- Networking and Cyber Security
Department of CSE, IIT Bhilai envisions to be a global center of excellence in education, technology and research, pertaining to all areas of Computational sciences and Engineering
- Impart students with a strong background in fundamental principles and innovative technologies of computer science and engineering through teaching, outreach and research
- Continuously adapt teaching and research through state-of-the art curriculums
- Establishment of state of the art facilities for research, development and education.
- Collaboration with other engineering, scientific, liberal arts and medical domains using the fundamental and applied principles of Computational sciences
- Collaboration with Industry and academia for advancement of the department
- Setup Center of Excellence and undertake projects that would have impact at international level, and in addressing national needs
- Scouting students and faculty members with entrepreneurial skills, and nurturing them to grow