- Bioinorganic Chemistry: Small Molecule Activation (O2 and CO2) by Bioinspired Approach.
- Inorganic Chemical Biology: Smart PARACEST and T1- MRI-Contrast Agents - Optical Imaging Probes.
- 2003-2008 : Ph.D. School of Chemistry, Bharathidasan University (Supervisor: Prof. M. Palaniandavar)
- 2000–2002 : M.Sc. ANJA College, Madurai Kamaraj University
- 1997-2000 : B.Sc. ANJA College, Madurai Kamaraj University
- Jan. 2022–Present: Assistant Professor (Department of Chemistry, IIT-Bhilai)
- 2011–2021 : Assistant Professor, School of Chemistry, Madurai Kamaraj University, India.
- 2014-2015 : Fulbright Scholar, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, USA (Mentor: Prof. Janet R Morrow, Assoc. Editor, Inorganic Chemistry)
- 2009-2010 : Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Austria (Mentor: Prof. Nadia C. Mösch-Zanetti)
Awards and Recognitions
- CRSI Bronze Medal (2020), Chemical Research Society of India (CRSI)
- CRSI Council Member (2020-23)
- Fulbright Outreach Fund (2015)
- Fulbright Scholar Award (2014), Fulbright Commission in India (USIEF)
- DFG-INSA Fellowship to Germany (2014)
- DST Young Scientist Project Award (2012)
- Foreign Travel Grant by DST and CSIR to Germany (2005)
- CSIR-NET (2003) and CSIR-Senior Research Fellowship(2005), India
- Gold medal for securing the first rank in M.Sc (2002)
- Tamil Nadu State Goverment Post Graduate Student Project Award (2002)
- Royal Institute of Sweden, Stockholm (December 2013)
- Heidelberg University, Germany (May –July 2014)
- Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Austria (Sep.-December 2013)
- Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Austria (May –June 2011)
Research Projects and Student Guided
- Completed Projects: 7 (DST, SERB, BRNS, DBT and UGC)
- Ongoing: 1 (SERB)
- PhD student Guided: 7; Master Student Guided: 24
- Fixation of atmospheric CO2 as C1-feedstock by nickel(II) complexes.Muthuramalingam, S.; Velusamy, M.; Mayilmurugan, R. Dalton Trans. 2021, ,50, 7984. (Hot Article).
- Benzene hydroxylation by bioinspired copper(II) complexes: Coordination geometry versus reactivity, Muthuramalingam, S.; Anandababu, K.; Velusamy, M.; Mayilmurugan, R. Inorg. Chem. 2020, 59, 5918.
- Smart dual T1 MRI-optical imaging agent based on rhodamine appended Fe(III)-catecholate complex, Maheshwaran, D.; Balaji, T.S.; Kumaresan, G.; Senthil Kumaran, S.; Mayilmurugan, R. Dalton Trans. 2020,49, 14680.
- Single-step benzene hydroxylation by cobalt(II) catalysts via cobalt(III)-hydroperoxo intermediate, Anandababu, K.; Muthuramalingam, S.; Velusamy, M.; Mayilmurugan, R. Catal. Sci. Technol.2020, 10, 2540.
- Highly efficient nickel(II) complexes of N4-ligands for selective hydroxylation of benzene, Muthuramalingam, S.; Anandababu, K.; Velusamy, M.; Mayilmurugan, R. Catal. Sci. Technol. 2019, 9, 5991(Hot article).
- Conversion of atmospheric CO2 into cyclic carbonates by nickel(II) complexes of diazepane based N4-ligands, S. Muthuramalingam, S.; Sankaralingam, M.; Velusamy, M.; R. Mayilmurugan,Inorg. Chem. 2019, 58,12975.
- A Structural and functional model for the tris-histidine motif in cysteine dioxygenase, Anandababu, K.; Rama-subramanian, R.; Wadepohl, H.; Comba, P.; Britto, N.J.; Jaccob, M.; Mayilmurugan, R. Chem. Eur. J. 2019, 25, 9540.
- Exploring inner-sphere water interactions of Fe(II), Fe(III) and Co(II) complexes of 12-membered macrocycles to develop CEST MRI probes, Bond, C. J.; Sokolow, G. E.; Crawley, M. R.; Burns, P. J.; Cox, J. M.; Mayilmurugan, R.; Morrow, J. R. Inorg. Chem. 2019, 58, 8710.
- Bioinspired models for unusual 3-histidine motif of diketone dioxygenase enzymes, Ramasubramanian, R.; Anandababu. K,; Mösch-Zanetti, N.C.; Belaj, F.; Mayilmurugan, R. Dalton Trans. 2019, 48, 14326. Hot Article.
- Regioselective oxidative carbon-oxygen bond cleavage catalysed by copper(II) complexes: A relevant model study for lytic polysaccharides monooxygenases activity, Muthuramalingam, S.; Maheshwaran, D.; Velusamy, M.; Mayilmurugan, R. J. Catalysis, 2019, 372, 352.
- Invited Talks / Lectures Delivered: 36 (including USA- 2; Austria- 1; Sweden-1; Germany-1; Singapore-1)
- organized: 12