Eligibility criteria for PhD admissions
A. Applicants must have ONE of the following in appropriate subject areas.
- 1. Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology or equivalent degree, with first class, 60% marks or equivalent (55% marks for SC/ST).
- 2. Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology, with first class, 60% marks or equivalent (55% marks for SC/ST).
- 3. Master’s degree in science or equivalent degree, with first class, 60% marks or equivalent (55% marks for SC/ST).
B. Applicants must also fulfill ONE of the following additional requirements.
- 1. Valid GATE Score (consult Table 1).
- 2. Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) of CSIR/ UGC/ NBHM/ DBT/ ICAR/ ICMR/ ICPR or DST INSPIRE Fellowship.
- 3. Minimum of 2 years of professional experience. The experience gained while acquiring Master’s Degree in
Engineering/Technology or experience acquired after obtaining the qualifying degree and completed before the starting of the semester in which admission is sought may be considered as professional experience.
- 4. CPI/CGPA of 8.0 or more for BTech from an IIT.
An ongoing degree may also be considered as a qualifying degree provided the applicant graduates before the PhD program starts. Department specific requirements are given in Table 1.
Table 1: Department specific criteria for PhD admissions
|Computer Science and Engineering
||GATE score in CS/ EC/ EE/ MA/ PH if applicable Excellent programming skills.
||GATE score in EE/ EC/ IN/ CS/ MA/ PH if applicable
||GATE score in AE/ CE/ ME/ PI/ PH/ XE if applicable
Sponsored PhD Programs
An applicant who meets the eligibility criteria may apply for admission to the PhD program under sponsored
category if he/she is either awardee of research fellowship from some recognized funding agency (CSIR/ UGC/ NBHM/ DBT/ ICAR/ ICMR/ ICPR etc. or DST INSPIRE Fellowship) or is sponsored by his/her
employer or is ready to self-sponsor himself/herself for the duration of PhD tenure. A certificate/declaration of sponsorship from the sponsoring body must be submitted by the applicant at the time
of applying for admission. Sponsored candidate does not receive institute fellowship.
- Sponsored student needs to apply as one the following:
- Full-time: A sponsored applicant may apply for admission to PhD program as sponsored full-time student. Such a student
needs to be present on the campus for the duration of PhD as per the rules of IIT Bhilai.
- Part-time: Professionally employed personnel such as working engineers, scientists and teachers who can, while employed, attend
regular classes as per schedule of IIT Bhilai may apply for admission to PhD program as sponsored part-time student. The applicant must be an employee of a recognized organization and be engaged in
professional work in the area to which admission is sought. The student must be available in person for discussion/meeting with the supervisor on a regular basis. The applicant shall give an undertaking
endorsed by the employer that the applicant will be relieved to attend all classes.
- External: An applicant working in industry / academic establishment / research laboratories having R&D facilities may apply
for admission to PhD program as external applicant. Such a student is expected to carry out all/major part of the research work in the organization employing the student. The employer must explicitly
undertake to relieve the applicant for staying on the campus to complete the required course work. A certificate to that effect from the sponsoring organization must be provided by the applicant at the
time of applying for admission. The student will be under joint supervision of a supervisor from IIT Bhilai and one from his/her parent organization. The applicant shall provide the CV of the prospective
supervisor who would supervise the applicant's work at his/her organization. Such applicant may apply as external full-time or part-time student.
- External Full-time: An external full-time student needs to be involved in full-time research at the organization employing the student.
- External Part-time: An external part-time student may be involved in his/her regular job assignments along with the research for PhD.